Home Forums TrueRNG Hardware random number generator RNGcapture on Windows 8.1

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jpsmith8488 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jpsmith8488

I have installed the proper driver for rngcapture and verified its normal function. When I then open rngcapture (in the Windows file explorer), the CMD window appears and then freezes, showing the error:
    Member .Name
    Function GetValue
    Error In: InternalInvoke
    Error: Type mismatch
    Code: 80020005
    Source: Application

I would appreciate any advice that will help me overcome this error and successfully run rngcapture. Thank you.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by  jpsmith8488. Reason: correction of typographical error

Ubld.it Staff

We’ve traced down the popup message, it appears to be Windows 8.1 only (as Win 7 seems fine), but anyway rngcapture has been updated and appears to not pop the message up any longer. Just note this is a console application, when you run it with no arguments (and the error message popped up) it was trying to find your ports for you. When supplying the ports the error message didn’t appear and it captured the stream fine.

The link on the TrueRNG downloads section has been updated to 1.1. Here a link as well.

jpsmith8488

Thank you for the update to rngcapture for Windows 8.1; it does eliminate the error I encountered. I have checked the Windows Device Manager and used USB Tree View to confirm that my TrueRNG is connected to COM5. The proper driver has been installed. Now however I receive the following error message on my Windows 8.1 Surface 3 Pro:

C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\Random>rngcapture com5 test.txt 9600
    Opening serial port \\.\com0…Error

I would appreciate any advice you may have to help me overcome this hiccup. Is there anything incorrect about the syntax of my call to rngcapture?
    Many thanks,
    Justin Smith

Ubld.it Staff

Hey there Justin, I had responded to your comment on the blog post here. But to recap — That error is just because the rngcapture program is a little crude. Just use the actual number of the comport numerically. So use “5″ not “com5″ … ie. “rngcapture 5 test.txt 9600″ once again, sorry for the confusion, I realize the ‘listing’ feature shows com5 but it only wants the number for an argument.

jpsmith8488

Thank you; rngcapture runs as expected. I appreciate your quick response to my query.

Justin Smith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.