Home Forums TrueRNG Hardware random number generator Problems with TrueRNGpro on Windows 10

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jaturul 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jaturul

Hi,
    I’ve recently purchased your TrueRNGpro for a project I’m doing and I’m having problems getting it to work on Windows 10. Despite installing the driver you’ve provided (http://ubld.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/TrueRNGproWindowsX86_64_v1003.zip), the device simply isn’t noticed by the system. And when I try to launch either the „rngcapture.exe” or the „test.bat” programs, it gives me the following results: http://imgur.com/a/ajvxJ (I should probably add that the device is on the COM3 port http://imgur.com/a/DpOJx).

I did try adding the device manually by opening the Device Manager and selecting Action→Add legacy hardware (I think that’s the only way to add COM devices on Windows 10 – they are not visible and accessible by default). Afterwards I clicked through that window to select the aforementioned driver from the hard drive, which resulted in the following message: http://imgur.com/a/zBZMZ. The device is installed, but can’t start for some reason and the only reason it gives me is the „Code 10” which I tried to google, but didn’t find much.

One last thing – before I tried both of the approach I’ve described, I may have plugged the device into my laptop before installing the driver I’ve linked to. I did uninstall the device via the Device Manager before I’ve tried to do it the “correct” way (that is installing the driver before plugging the device in) though.

Ok, so that’s the problem I have, I’d be most grateful if you could provide any assistance.

Ubld.it Staff

Unfortunately “Code 10″ is a generic ‘device isn’t working’ error. And rngcapture will not work while the exclamation mark is on the driver.

Right now the best advice I can say is, uninstall the driver, reboot, and do a clean install of the driver again, then reboot again.

May I ask can you describe the behavior of the led’s when you plug it in? It will do a sequence, then light certain LEDs, describe it in detail please.

Also try a different usb port, sometimes laptops have USB2 and USB3 ports (blue is usually USB3).

Another idea is try plugging it into a USB hub, maybe there is something with your USB chipset that the TrueRNGPro doesn’t like.

While our Windows 10 machine here works fine, I’m going to try and replicate your problem.

So in short; Things to try;
    * Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot
    * Try different usb ports
    * Try a different computer
    * Try a USB hub
    * Describe the LED sequence animation/lights

Thanks, and sorry for the problem you are having.

jaturul

Thank you for your advice – I have uninstalled the device, rebooted the PC, installed the driver again and rebooted. Unfortunately, it didn’t change anything and the device still wasn’t working. I have also tried doing what you advised on other PCs which included another 64-bit Windows 10 and a 64-bit Windows 7. I had the same results on all of them – no response from the PC after plugging the generator after installing the driver and rebooting the PC. Also, it gave me code 10 after trying to install it as “legacy hardware” through the Windows’ device manager.

Also, I determined the sequence of the LEDs lighting up. I do believe it’s:
    PWR
    PWR
    G1
    G2
    ACT
    G2
    G1
    PWR
    G1
    G2
    ACT
    G2
    G1
    PWR
    PWR G1 G2 ACT
    PWR G1 G2 ACT
    PWR G1 G2
    If you’d like to see for yourself, I’ve included a link to the video of the device’s LED sequence here https://vid.me/Wh29. I would very much appreciate any further hints.

Ubld.it Staff

jaturul,

The only other thing we can think would cause this issue is the USB cable you are using to connect the TrueRNGpro. Can you try another cable? If that doesn’t work than e-mail us directly at sales@ubld.it and we’ll exchange your device to see if that solves the issue.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  Ubld.it Staff.

jaturul

@ ubld.it
    I tried a different cable with the TRNG and it started working. Sorry for such a commotion – I just didn’t think there was something wrong with the cable if the device could be seen via the Device Manager. So thank you for your patience and your tips – the problem has been resolved :)

Ubld.it Staff

Wow! No need to be sorry. I thought the cable being bad was a long shot myself but I’m glad it worked for you..

In case you are curious here’s what made me think the cable was a possible issue. The very first PCB I ever designed was a USB Hub and when I designed it I had no clue what I was doing. As it turns out the 90 Ohm differential impedance specification for USB is pretty important. So when I hooked up my poorly designed hub it would enumerate but that was all it would do. When I saw you had a flat cable in one of your photos a red flag went off in my head and I thought your cable, which I could see in your photograph, was not what USB cables typically look like.

Thanks for taking the time to try a new cable.

jaturul

Yeah, thinking of it now, it makes sense – that other cable that you could see in the video was surprisingly flat. Congrats on a great eye and again, thanks for the help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.