Home Forums TrueRNG Hardware random number generator Durability for 24/7 use

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  javimm 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

javimm

Hi.
    I’ve just received my TrueRNG V2 in the mail. Great device and service!!.
    I’ve just plugged it in, installed the udev rules and it’s working flawlessly as expected.
    Now I’m planning on leaving it plugged in and basically leave it there.
    Will this wear the device off quickly?. Is it going to degrade in any way by leaving it plugged in (circuitry components sensible to use, etc)?.
    Thank you very much.

Ubld.it Staff

There should be no problems with 24/7 use. We have personally had a few of these plugged in for a few years now running 24/7 and haven’t noticed any problems. The V2 has 2 noise generators that are mixed together, even if one was to fail, the other would still be generating enough random data to carry it, if they both were to fail they would theoretically fail in different ways and the mixing of the two could still produce good entropy, we have tested this by artificially causing a generator to fail… and at the end of the spectrum if you are using RNGD, it will be running fips 140-2 on the incoming stream before entropy is inserted in the kernel. I hope this helps.

javimm

OK. Thank you very much.
    I’m not really talking of 24/7, because I usually leave the computer off while I’m at work, so that will relieve some strain from the device.
    Anyway, it’s good to know that it can be left plugged in.
    Regards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.